The Devonshire Arms is listed in White (1850) Directory as being in Stephen Street. W. Love
was resident. It also appears on the O.S map of 1876 and occupied part of the New Inn, presumably to the rear, hence the
placement on the map.
It featured in the EFP in 1810 when the landlords wife died and again on 7th January 1819 when William Moxey was fined for serving after hours.
Pring relates that it was purchased in 1816 by the St Annes Well Brewery.
In 1716, the Bedford Arms was recorded as being behind the New Inn, this could possibly be the same place.
A notice to debtors and creditors appeared in the EFP 4th September 1834, possibly suggesting the inn was in financial trouble.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002-2004