The Cattle Market Inn was frequented by cattlemen from the nearby cattle market on the
river-side of Bonhay Road. There was also an Abatoir close by bringing in more trade.
The Inn can be traced back to
the early C19th and was a place supposedly frequented by undesirables. A report of a murder trial back the states that
the deceased had spent the night in disreputable company both male & female at the Cattle Market Inn. The Cattle
Market moved to Marsh Barton in 1939 and this no doubt will severely have affected trade.
It is listed by pigot (1844), Robert Cooper as resident.
The Inn was closed in September 1968.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002-2004