The Exeter Arms eventually became
Pigot (1823) lists J. Howard at the Exeter Arms, This very same John Howard was resident on 1st January 1819 when the Exeter Flying Post reported a missing horse at the premises.
It was known as the Exeter Arms until 1844, when it closed only to open as The Exeter Inn in 1868. The inn belonged to the Williams family between 1879 and 1928 when it issued checks made by Helmore, Exeter.
The Exeter Flying Post reported that J. Bond was fined for hosting card games at his pub in 1843 (EFP 23rd Nov 1843).
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002-2004