The Papermakers Arms ceased being a real pub in the early 1990's and
became a restaurant, The Papermakers. It then became a Tex-Mex restaurant in Exe Street in 2001.
Tex Mex restaurant
The original name was taken from the former papermaking factory which used to stand close by on the river bank along Bonhay Road. This factory closed in 1967, but the pub had existed since 1820.
The building was demolished in 2004 and the space still has not been built on (Feb 2006).
Listed by Pigot (1823), William Bird resident and by White (1850), resident was Philip Cridge.
According to Chips Barber, the building was haunted by a former landlord from Edwardian times, 40 years old with bushy hair who ambled along an upstairs corridor and through the wall.
The Exeter Flying Post records that the pub was a reception house of the humane society, 14th June 1845.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002, 2006