|Use the text links for more information!
No sidebar menus?, CLICK HERE and re-select
Queen Street was cut in 1835 two years before Queen Victoria's accession to the throne. The street is named
in her honour. The street was cut to allow better access to Higher Market which was built in response to the
cholera epidemic in 1832. Higher Market sold fish, poultry, dairy products and vegetables until its closure in
1962. It later became part of the Guilhall Shopping Centre which was officially opened in 1976. Goldsmith Street
was virtually lost as a street during this development and is now only seen as the pedestrian thoroughfare
between Samuels and Millets. It was once however a bustling street and centre of Exeter's gold and silver
assaying community. It also had entrances to Higher Market and the Wool Hall just about where the back entrance to
M&S now sits.
There was great controversy in the early to mid seventies when much of this medieval street was demolished. The 1920's however was also a period of demolition in Goldsmith Street so not all the blame can be laid at the door of modern developers. Many people left the Goldsmith Street area during this period and it began to become a little run-down.
Paul Street was widened in 1926 and many of the buildings lost during building clearance between 1921 and 1924. The Western National Bus Company moved in to the north side of Paul Street in 1924.
The Bystock Hotel
Queens Court Hotel
Your Comments and Feedback are very welcome