The Anchor Inn is listed initially by Trewman (1816), J. Gooding resident.
Further Directory Listings.
It Appears on the O.S. map of 1876 in Paul Street and also the subject of a "for sale" notice on 23rd September 1802, Mr Lock as tennant.
Not listed after 1895.
A fire was extiguished at the inn and reported on 20th January 1875.
The pub was used by the carrier services as the starting point for their trip to North Devon.
Carrier Listings (1852).
The Blue Anchor was located in Paul street and is known from a "for sale" notice in the EFP 7th February 1799.
Likely to be the same inn simply because of the name similarity.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002