The Topsham Inn is marked on the O.S. Map of 1876 and listed by
Pigot (1823), John Cooper resident, White's Devon
Directory (1850), William Johnson resident at 42 South Street. Besley (1828) also gives the place a
mention, Mary Cooper as resident and Kelly (1919), shows Samuel Howard was at 48 South Street.
There is no listing in Kelly's diectory (1970) and it is very likely that the pub was cleared for the building of Western Way.
Pring mentions that it was purchased by the St Annes Well Brewery in 1816.
The inn is first mentioned in the EFP on 17th July 1806, a "for sale" notice.
It was probably closed for a short while in 1878. The EFP printed an advert for a "stock in trade" sale at the inn on 22nd May 1878. The pub did however re-open according to the directory listings.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002