The Artful Dodger dates from around 1810 when the houses between
this pub and the end of the row at the Red Cow Inn were re-built. The building was certainly an
inn by 1861 (census listed John Roberts as inn-keeper), known as The
John Bull Inn. In March 1880, it is listed as having a tea garden to the rear also at
this time the pub was owned by the City Brewery.
1980 saw the re-naming of the pub to The Artful Dodger.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002 - 2004