The Fleece was by North Gate. The gate was removed in 1769 so this pub possibly met it's end there and then.
The Blackdog is shown on the OS map of 1876 and is also referred to by Dymond (1880). He states that it was referred to as being 'lately consumed by fire', in 1658.
It was run by Edward Turner in 1850 according to White. Originally had an address of 5 Lower North Street, also incorporating 4 Lower North Street after 1912.
A "for sale" notice appeared in the Exeter Flying Post on 27th September 1798.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002, 2004