The Plume of Feathers stood at the bottom of North Street. It was a coaching Inn serving North Devon,
two listings are given in Slater (1852).
Greenaway (1974) states that the inn was built to cater for the increased trade after the removal of the North Gate in 1769. The inn was the subject of a "for sale" notice on 24th March 1775.
Listed by Pigot (1823), M.Strong resident.
Crediton Inn was the subject of a "for sale" notice 7th March 1811 (EFP) and is shown on the 1876 map. It was around when White compiled his directory in 1850. John Greenslade was resident.
The Inn was fire bombed in WW2 and subsequently closed.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002