The Old & New Coach & Horses

The Old Coach and Horses is seen on the 1876 map. There is a listing in White's 1850 directory for the Coach and Horses at 135 Sidwell St. It was originally the Coach and Horses, becoming the Old Coach and horses at 45 Sidwell Street (street re-numbered) around 1880.

Directory Listings.

The City Brewery purchased the freehold in 1919. In 1955, the site was sold to ECC, the inn having been lost during WW2.

The New Coach and Horses is listed as 146 Sidwell St William Bickell was resident in 1850.

Originated as the New Coach and Horses to distinguish it from the Coach and Horses. Eventually became the Coach and Horses, (PO 1895) when the Coach and Horses was re-named the Old Coach and Horses. Confused!

Between 1887 and 1916 checks were issued, JC Lamacroft was resident.

Directory Listings.

Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002