The Okehampton Inn was situated in Okehampton Road in 1823 according to Pigot. M. Hutchings was resident at the time.
The pub though was much older than that. A for sale" notice appeared in the EFP 7th February 1788.
The pub gets a mention in connection with carrier services in 1852 (Slater), William Honeychurch provided a service to Spreyton starting here.
The exact location is given away by the St Thomas Tithe Map of 1839 as roughly the bridge end of the Royal Oak car park. Plot 32 on the map, the pub run by owner occupier Frederick Elworthy.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002-2004