The Turks Head was demolished in 1972 to make way for the St Thomas shopping centre.
There was probably an inn on this site in the C16th according to a planning application of 1899, however the application stated that the present building was constructed in 1730.
The Inn was referred to as the Old Turks Head by the EFP 11th November 1790 when a Thomas Please was landlord.
There was a fire at the premises in 1834 reported by the EFP.
The inn was up for sale in March 1847 according to a notice in the EFP 16th March 1847. The inn comprised a brewhouse, cellar, stabling, a skittle alley and a walled garden. It would appear that the garden or courtyard housed several cottages which were also up for sale.
In 1856, the guide price for an auction of the inn was 650.00 GBP, resident was George Cox. Ten years later in 1866 (EFP 4th Nov 1866), a "To Let" notice appeared, Mr Seward was resident.
The inn was re-built starting July 1898, but the building never received the correct planning permission. The issue appeared to remain un-resolved.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002-2004