The Courtenay Arms was located in Mary Archers Street during the latter half of the
C19th, and stood roughly opposite the present day St Olaves Hotel. Remember that Mary Archers Street was a very
narrow thorouhfare back then.
The first directory listing was that of G. Cook at 47 Mary Archers Street in Trewman's Exeter Pocket Journal.
The EFP printed a "for sale" notice on 3rd July 1861. The pub however appears to have closed before the end of the century.
The Cooper's Arms was also located in Mary Archers Street, however no street number is given by Slater (1852), Elizabeth Rundall was resident.
The pub was also the subject of a "to let" notice in the Exeter Flying Post, 7th December 1809 and again on 7th June 1810 when James Jackman was named as landlord.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2005-2006