The Corn Exchange Tavern is shown on the O.S Map of 1876 and is also listed by White (1850). Resident was Thomas Bury.
Is listed by Kelly (1897) as the Corn Exchange Hotel with Edwin Down resident and listed thereafter as a hotel. Not listed after 1906.
in 1816, Trewman mentions a Spirit and Beerhouse in the Corn Market. It is very likely that this is the same Inn.
The EFP printed a "to let" notice for the Corn Exchange Inn (18/10/1830) and also mentioned the inn on 18th June 1824 with respect to JT. Way's wife passing away.
The inn may well have closed, only to re-open as the New Corn Exchange Tavern, as mentioned in the EFP 13th December 1838, an opening dinner.
The inn got a further mention when taken over by R. Bowden in 1841.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002