The Dolphin Inn was re-located to Burnthouse Lane
around 1928 along with many of the inhabitants of the West Quarter. The only Inn built in Burnthouse lane during the
re-housing was the Dolphin Inn (although the Gardeners Arms was re-built).
Click here to access this page
Robert Dymond (1880) states that The Dolphin of the Coutenays or of "The Guild of Merchant Venturers" may still be found in Preston Street. It Was well established by 1578.
In 1765 it was described as "situate directly facing the street which leads to the serge market", hence a very specific map placement. Nowadays the southerly section of Augusta Court.
Rats were a particular problem in the Westquarter, Robert Hutton who ran the pub in 1769 was an agent for the sale of rat poison according to the Exeter Flying Post (28th August 1769).
It was extensively used by the "Carrier" services as a start, end or stopping point for
their journeys throughout Devon and the South West of England. The List of destinations is extensive,
the pub was effectively a coach station.
White (1850) lists the pub in Market Street (it was on the corner of Market / Preston Street), where Augusta Court stands today. John Born was resident. Kelly (1897) lists the pub at 17 Market Street with Henry Pardon resident, the earliest listing, that of Elizabeth Beal in 1816, click the link for more.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002,2003